Thursday, January 26, 2012

Vegan and Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes!

While sitting in work passing out the pupcakes from two days ago, I had a request for Red Velvet Cupcakes. Coincidentally I had just found this yummy recipe on pinterest, http://www.noveleats.com/dessert/vegan-red-velvet-cupcakes/. Red velvet is a favorite of many, so i decided to give it a try.

For the past few months I have been developing food allergies and issues to so many different things, that until I can get a grip on what exactly is causing the problem, certain known allergens are being removed from my diet. Craving a cupcake, I decided to make sure this one was adapted from the above recipe to make it gluten free as well.

Preheat your oven to 350 and get all your ingredients together
For the Cake:
  • 1 cup vegan milk ( I used Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk)
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour ( I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour)
  • 1 cup vegan granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons red food coloring
  • 11/2 teaspoons vanilla extract ( I used less than the original recipe called for because of the vanilla in the milk)
  •  1/4 teaspoon of almond extract

First you need to mix the milk and the vinegar into a separate bowl and the let the milk curdle with the vinegar. Set the bowl aside.

Then, sift all dry ingredients together into a big bowl.

Next add in the wet ingredients including the milk mixture.

Whisk everything together. Be careful not to over mix, some lumps in the batter are fine.
Pour into your lined cupcake pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Take your yummy yummy cakes out of the oven and let cool. Remember to let your cakes cool completely before icing... I have to keep reminding myself this =/

Now for my favorite part, the frosting....
  • 1/4 cup of softened vegan butter (earth balance in my brand of choice)
  • 1/4 cup of softened vegan cream cheese
  • 2 cups of vegan powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix everything together and enjoy!

So as far as the taste... My super picky husband LOVED them. He seemed a little upset that the entire dozen wasn't for him. But cupcakes are meant for sharing. =)





What is your favorite type of cupcake?

No comments:

Post a Comment